Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2 Weeks Old

McCoy is now 2 wks. old. We took him in for his checkup today and everything is functioning great. I was a little worried about his billirubin because my doctors office didn't call us to tell us if 10.2 was good or not. So we asked about that today and turns out they like to see it under 10 but were he dropped so fast and so much he was fine with it being close to 10.
McCoy is no average kid when it comes to his height. His percentiles are: 51% for weight, 50% for head circumference, and well 90% for height. He is one tall skinny boy. I was glad to see that we have another child that is on the charts. Now hopefully he stays there and doesn't go to the small end of the charts. LOL
So get this... I have always heard that breast milk is the best thing you could give a baby. Well now they (doctors that change their minds every 10 yrs) are suggesting that babies that are only breast feed lack the proper amount of vitamins that otherwise is given in formula. So were McCoy is only breast feed my doctor is suggesting that we either supplement him with 1-2 2oz bottles of formula everyday or give him vitamin supplements. He did emphasize that this is just a suggestion but he has been doing it to his 2 mo. and it won't hurt him and it will help him to gain weight. He also said that he has known any of his patients to lack those vitamins... or to be worse off because they haven't been supplememnted and neither have the other 2 doctors in the office. So it is just crazy to me that medical information changes so dramatically sometimes. I am still in shock that they are "suggesting" that breast milk isn't good enough anymore.
But back to McCoy... he is doing just fine. He does have a little bit of a cough and a stuffy nose. So if it gets worse and not better then we have a prescription that is waiting for us at the pharmacy. That way we don't have to wait to get help to him.
Oh the joys of parenting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hendrickson Clan said...

I am so glad everything is going well. I had me give the vitamin supplements to Allie too. I wasn't very faithful at giving them to her though... Who know what will be right or wrong the next time you go, huh! Crazy! How are you feeling? Sorry we didn't make it down there for the blessing. How did it all go?

February 19, 2009 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Wright said...

That is so interesting about milk supplements. I guess it would make those who can't breast feed feel pretty good ey? =0) So do you have an invite to view my blog? If not email me at s t a s h a k e m p a t h o t m a i l . c o m and I'll hook you up. I'm glad to hear that he's doing so well.

February 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home