Thursday, September 9, 2010

Alaska Trip Day 8

We are currently at the Bluff. It is 1:42 in the morning and we just got into camp. We left Nome this afternoon at 3 in the afternoon. So many crazy things have happened today. I swear this may go down as the most bizarre day of my life. We were truly initiated into Nome.
We left the church at 3 pm... On 4 wheelers. We rode out 45 miles to Big Hurrah and then in 20 more miles to the Bluff. We rode in with Dad's friend Randy Smith and his mining partner Bill. We also joined Ian. He's a guy from the branch that Randy invited as well.
We rode in muck and tundra. But worst of all the rain. We have been in the rain for 10 hrs. Oh my word! If I never seen another rain drop that would be perfectly fine with me. I think above all that though... My boobs are so engorged. I think I might cry.
This has been the craziest adventurous waked out ... Who's idea was this anyway... Kind of day.
Oh but thats not all. As soon as we get to Randy's "bunk house" we see that it is a bunch of conex's they have hollowed out and made into a house. It has leaks eVeRyWhErE. And there are rodents and it smells so moldy. We have mattresses that have been left here from like 1982 or something. And if I wasn't more afraid of the rodents then the mattress I would go without. But I figure it might be better to be a little bit off the ground.
There is actually a room that is off to the side in the back. But it is so dark and damp it scares me to death.
We got things settled in and then made dinner. By this time I think it was considered breakfast haha. Dad cooked up a Caribou that he shot. Wow it was good. And I don't think it was good because we were so hungry.
I had to pee so bad on our trek but I didn't want to dig off all my rain gear in the rain. So I was waiting to get to the "bunk house" in order to pee. Yeah right... In order to pee you could go outside with the bears or in the back.
And in order to do that you go through the wall ( a door in the wall that just looks like part of the conex ) and then back to a hall way and down the hall 3 rooms. Oh and there is. Door that is propped up with a car. That's for when a bear comes in you can hear it and get ready for it to find his way to you. But if you are using the "bathroom" then you are literally crap out of luck because the door is right there. Ahhhh!
I finished pumping and settled into bed and Brett asked if I needed to pee and I just told him I would wait till morning because I didn't want to do either of those things. :) he made me get up and he took me back and stood guard for me.
As I finally layer down in bed I settled in and I swear I heard a rain drop hit my sleeping bag. I just thought to myself "are you kidding me". I feel asleep right after that to the sound of the rain and wind hitting the sides of the house. And to the rain water splattering on the floor as it seeped in through the roof almost everywhere around me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Nome, AK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home