Thursday, September 9, 2010

Alaska Trip Day 9

I woke up this morning feeling pretty cozy! But as soon as I comprehended where I was it all came back to me. All the feelings of bizarre disgust and amazement that someone actually lives like this.
I woke up around 1 pm. Almost as Aaron and Brian where crawling back into bed. They had been out hunting all morning. I didn't even realize it was light outside. It is so dark, muggy and filthy in this place.
There is so much moisture in the air that things never really dry out. All our clothes from the night before were still damp. Brett had spent most of the morning getting my stuff dry. He is such an amazing guy. I takes care of me above all else.
Well it's still raining today. Sometimes harder then others. At about 3 o'clock dad and brett and I went on a little walk. We walked up the bluff and looked over the cliffs. I guess there is a natural aviary right up the shoreline. Oh did I mention we are right on the shore of the Bering Sea.
The waves were crashing in so hard. You could actually see parts of the cliff that had sloughed off. So we didn't want to get too close to the edge. I took some pictures of the birds and cliffs. Unfortunately with all the rain I haven't been able to get the beautiful pictures I've set out to get. But then again the guys haven't been able to see a bull moose or a grizzly bear either.
Anyway, when we got back from our hike we loaded firewood into the bunk house. ALL the wood here is soaked. But somehow it dries off or just burns wet. So we gathered wood an through it in the generator room through the window. Yeah it was already broken out.
I guess Randy collects wood even though he isn't here in the winter, because when people come up to certain places on their snowmobiles the stop in to lodge here. He's afraid they would burn his doors and floors and pick apart the place if he dint leave wood for them.
K well after that we decided we would bike over between two bluffs and catch salmon. We were gone for about 2 hours. In the meantime it rained and poured and then let up and rained some more on us. It was a blast. Maybe because we knew where camp was and that we could go back anytime. Although we were hunting bear at the same time. So that was. A little unnerving. But we rode the 4-wheelers in the beach.
8 chased the waves by going in and out of the sea. There was tons of sea foam to ride through as well.
After riding on the beach for a while we had to go back up on the tundra. We kept looking for a place to get through the willows but we weren't able to. At one point Brett and I were going to go in... But we hit a big clump of grass (I guess you could call it that) and we actually tipped the back over. It was like being on a sea do at Lake Powell but not that kind of water. The bike almost came over on top of us. But it ended up staying on it's side. I was was scrambling to get off and out of the way without breaking something while Brett was more focused on using his body to stop the bike from rolling on me. See I told you he was amazing.
The reason we did want to go through the willows was because that is where the bears hangout and there were huge swells in the tundra. Mostly we didn't want to get stuck in the Willis and not be able to see a bear coming up on us.
We went back to the bunk house and put my camera away, after that fall. It was raining so bad I didn't know how to keep it dry since my coat was soaked. Then we went back through some of the bogs we came to the bunk house on. After a little while we decided to just go back. Salmon just wasn't in the cards toady. The rain was coming down soooo hard. It was like a flash flood in some places of the tundra. I got the 4-wheeler stuck on the way back. Brett, Aaron and Brian all lifted it out of the mud and it was suctioned down in. Things went much smoother after that. Except the rain, it was pelting me in the forehead so hard. But we eventually made it back and I wasn't even that wet this time.
I put my wadders on this morning instead of just my rain gear. But my shoes are soaking wet. Which is a bummer because I don't dare walk on this floor without shoes. And for a moment just now my dad went to fill up the generator. That made all the lights go out. So I was sitting in the dark all by myself in this big scare bunk house.
Seriously guys kill bear and take me back to Nome :)
Don't worry I am still having fun. It is just the kind of fun you have when you look back on the situation and thank Heavenly Father that you made it out a live haha.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:The Bluffs 65 miles away from Nome

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home